Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Announcements / Re: Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED
« Last post by Ed.Mizzi on July 05, 2023, 10:17:16 AM »
Victor, so fortunate to have you, Andy, Bob and John looking after this for the Centre. I was so saddened when I saw the photos.
I'm sure you have thought of this, but at some time, should we notify National as a caution to other clubs and as a way to possibly get some relief funding to rebuild?
Just a thought
Thanks
Ed
Announcements / Re: Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED
« Last post by Victor.Abraham on July 04, 2023, 11:17:01 PM »
Just a quick update for everyone who may be wondering what happened. More details will be shared in the coming days, however we believe that sometime yesterday some individuals vandalized the doors to both the buildings and compromised the structures. It's currently unsafe to enter either of the buildings. Law enforcement has been notified and Bob P, Andy, John W. and myself have taken steps to securing the premises for the time being. More details will follow as we come to know more information.

This is very unfortunate as we were just restarting our Friday Nights at the observatory.
Announcements / Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED
« Last post by John.Devonshire on July 04, 2023, 06:23:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Please be informed that effective immediately, and at least for the time being, the Hamilton Centre Observatory is closed.  Further information to come.
Announcements / Re: Friday Night Sights - Observatory Gatherings
« Last post by John.Devonshire on July 02, 2023, 10:31:53 AM »
Hi Ed,

Agreed, it is great to see the observatory opening up on a regular basis again - it has been so underused lately, and this initiative couldn't happen without people volunteering their time to open it.
« Last post by Ed.Mizzi on July 01, 2023, 03:17:57 PM »
Happy to hear that the inaugural OB night went well. Kudos to Andy et al for hosting.

Ed
« Last post by Victor.Abraham on July 01, 2023, 12:01:38 PM »
Great to hear that we had a few turn out. I'm sure this will grow over time. In fact I had an inquiry through the outreach mailbox and word of mouth will spread I'm sure.

Andy, I'm thrilled that that this is happening. It's exactly what we need. Huge thank you to you for organizing and putting this together!
« Last post by John.Devonshire on July 01, 2023, 11:31:53 AM »
Andy has provided the following report from last night's observatory opening.

Observatory Report June 30th 2023

The clubs Friday night observatory night went off as planned. Everyone is welcome.

We fired up the 16” and waited for clear skies. The haze/smoke was relentless but we managed to observe a few objects M13, and M57. I took a few eyepieces and tried an ethos 8mm, but the haze prevented great views.

I spent a little time trying to wake up the 14”, but too many hurdles prevented success. The computer would not start, and when we started the mount it too was dead. So we will need to do some daytime investigation.

Thank-you to everyone who showed-up, Bruce, Jane, Matteo, and parents, Bob.
« Last post by John.Devonshire on June 30, 2023, 02:46:28 PM »
Tonight - June 30 is a GO!

Andy will be there opening the observatory at 9:30 with observing starting after 10PM.
Announcements / Friday Night Sights - Observatory Gatherings
« Last post by John.Devonshire on June 23, 2023, 03:43:32 PM »
Now that COVID is over and we are back to in person meetings, the Board has decided to add Friday night events at the observatory for club members and have it also open to the general public.  The observatory will be open and people will have a chance to look through the equipment, including the 16" scope.

To that end, we will be posting on social media, the website and here in the Forum, whether or not it is a "go" or "no-go" on the Friday night.  The plan is to have these Friday events through the end of October.

It should be noted that Andy has assembled multiple groups of volunteers to take turns opening and hosting these events, and these people should be commended for their efforts and taking the time to open the observatory.
Announcements / Where can you find us?
« Last post by Victor.Abraham on June 15, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
Although we have a message about social media pinned to the top of the Announcements thread (http://hamiltonrasc.ca/forum/index.php?topic=965.0) there was a request at last night's general meeting to collect all the Centre's outlets in one message. So here goes:

Forum: Great place to exchange information, pictures, projects and more. You have to ensure that you click the "Notify" button and the top right of each thread you want to receive notifications on. Otherwise make a habit of checking the forum daily (yes some of us do that).

Social Media:

Generally you can follow us across a variety of social media platforms under the handle: @RASCHamilton

Meetings:

• Board Meetings - are formal monthly meetings where the Centre's Executive make decision about the functioning of all aspects of the Centre. The primary mandate being to promote astronomy. Typically held the week before our General Meetings. They are held every month from October to June with the summer months off.
  • General Meetings - are formal, but fun meetings where different speakers are showcased, the affairs of the Centre are discussed, we run trivia and 50/50 draws, etc... From September 2023 and onward, these meetings will be held the second Thursday of each month.
  • Zoom Meetings - are weekly informal meetings where we dicuss all topics surrounding astronomy. Sometimes it's gear, software, strategies, repairing equipment, Centre projects, etc... Meetings are held every Thursday (no meeting on the weeks we have the General Meetings). A link is provided each week, via email and will come from Mark Kaye. If you are not receiving the invites please reach out so you can be added to the list.
  • Weekend Astronomy - Throughout the summer months (weather permitting) we open the observatory up on Fridays (with a rain date on Saturday). Volunteers will be taught how to use the 16" and 14" telescopes in the roll-off observatory. Members are encouraged to use the facilities as long as they do so with a another member. There should always be at least two people at the observatory at all times.

In order to keep this thread clean - if I've missed anything, please message me directly victor.abraham77@gmail.com and I will update this thread.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]