Author Topic: DSLR Modifications for Astrophotography  (Read 9352 times)

Rick.Morris

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
    • Key Holder
DSLR Modifications for Astrophotography
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »
I recently attended the Astrophotography session in Milton. Great event! I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on where I might send my Canon T3i for modifications. Getting expensive in the US and wondering if there are any Canadian modifiers that are good and reliable.
Thanks
Rick M

Gordon.Haist

• Member of the Centre
  • Stellar Class
Re: DSLR Modifications for Astrophotography
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
Hello Rick,

I'm not sure if you received a response to your inquiry or if you already found someone to mod your T3i. I also attended the CAPS astrophotography course presented by Richard Wright. After taking the course, I started shopping for a used T3i, body, but ended up buying a modded T3i from Renaud Venne Landry in Quebec, who does the mods himself. You can contact him at renaudvl@yahoo.ca, 819-827-2777 or check out his website at www.astromodcanada.com/. The cost for a full spectrum conversion is $225 plus shipping costs. I found Renaud to be knowledgeable and helpful, and he does expert, reliable work. And much cheaper than US rates.

Good luck, Gord

Graham.Fletcher

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
Thanks for that info Gord!  I am currently thinking about having a Canon 6D MK II modified and was hoping for Canadian "supplier".  I've emailed Renaud for more details but I am a little perplexed by the "mixed reviews" of astromodification that I've found on the web.  Seems to be 50-50 split.  Since I am one who does most of my observing in my light-polluted backyard, I think the modification would help quite a bit.

Graham

Gordon.Haist

• Member of the Centre
  • Stellar Class
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
Hello Graham,
I'm glad that you found my information helpful. I don't have a Canon 6D myself, but I have researched the 6D and I understand that it is a great camera for astrophotography right out of the box. They perform great in lowlight conditions without generating noise and it has a full-frame sensor. It's also not an inexpensive camera and once it's modified, there's no going back. Do you plan on using the 6D only for astrophotography? I would try using the camera first in its stock condition, but using a clip-in light pollution filter. The filter will likely cost as much as the mod, but at least you have options. Also, I have been using my modded T3i with a light pollution filter installed.
Hope that helps,
Gord