Author Topic: Website and Forum issues  (Read 3584 times)

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
Website and Forum issues
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:28:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

On the morning of Saturday, August 28, the company that hosts the server for all our service (e.g., website and Forum) had an attack on its infrastructure, causing serious outages.  They have spent (and as of the morning of August 31 are still working on it), the entire time restoring their hosting servers.

Our information came back online late Monday evening. We are more fortunate than most, as some companies and organizations will need to recreate their data from scratch.  It appears that our backup was from around August 27,so any posts over the last 3 or so days will have been lost.

The web hosting team has been keeping us up to date on the problems throughout, and provided a breakdown of what happened (https://whc.ca/blog/major-incident-what-happened), so let’s give them credit for that.

Anyway, that is why everything has been down, but we are now back up and running. Thank you for your patience!

Jeff.Booth

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
Re: Website and Forum issues
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:13:52 AM »
Thank you, John, for this information.
Well, that certainly explains it ...
Best
Jeff
Jeff   
(aka 'Booter')

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:53 AM »
John, Thanks for your work in this regard. Glad we had a happy ending.

Ed

Kirk.Currie

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
  • Key Holder
    • HRASC Observatory Clear Sky Chart
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
Thank you for your continued support of the Website and Forums John.
I shudder to think where the club might be if we didn't have these valuable resources.
Keep up the good work!
Kirk
Astro Bio: Primarily a visual and virtual observer.
Longtime RASC member but still a rank amateur.

Mark.Kaye

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »
   Hello.  I do not know who runs the forum.  Last night when I posted the Zoom announcement, I got a message back saying that the list service distributing club announcements has been retired.  But I got back the message announcement.  Did others see it?
   I am not sure how well read this forum is.  I do not know if all of the members know about our Zoom meetings each Thursday night.  I have posted messages here, but in general, it does not look like the forum is very active.  I do not see any posts for October.  I may just be looking in the wrong places.  I figured that the announce at least was messaged to all members to see or ignore at their leisure.
   Is there a way to get messages out to all about club stuff like regular meetings, the newsletter and other items?  I assume that we will be needing to do an AGM some time soon.  Other clubs have held their AGM meetings via Zoom.  But it would need to be known in advance by all paid members.
   Perhaps we can discuss this tonight.
   Zoom meeting at 2000.

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »
Mark, I cannot answer all of your questions, but I will reply...
1. I did receive your Zoom announcement via email, so hopefully everyone did
2. I check the Forum on a regular basis, almost daily, but I am one of only a handful that uses the Forum and weeks can go by with no posts.
    Maybe people are not interested, don't know about the Forum or do not have the time to get involved.
3. I've been hoping that the Board would Get the club going again this Fall (in person or virtually), but maybe they are too worried about Covid and/or they feel most members would not meet via Zoom...just speculation on my part.
I, for one, appreciate your work with carrying on the Zoom meetings, so thanks.
Ed

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
Mark,

Sometimes the Forum does funky things when it completes a post, but the post usually goes through anyway.

Roger is the Forum master and I am sort of his backup, although I don’t know how things are set up.  However, If it happens again, let me know and take a screenshot of the error and where you were posting and I will see if I can find something.