Linked Events

• General Meeting - Making Lunar Lemonade: February 07, 2019

Author Topic: Making Lunar Lemonade: Tips, Tricks, and Targets for Observing the Full Moon  (Read 7908 times)

Muhammad.Ahmad

• Member of the Centre
  • Supernova class
    • Key Holder
    • MBApix
“Making Lunar Lemonade: Tips, Tricks, and Targets for Observing the Full Moon”

Chris Vaughan, B.Sc.

Chris Vaughan is a professional Exploration Geophysicist and Astronomer (1982 graduate of University of Toronto) with a passion for education and public outreach. He is the recipient of the 2014 Bertram Topham Award for Observing and the 2013 and 2014 Andrew Elvins Awards for Promotion of Astronomy from the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Toronto Centre. Since 1996, Chris has been visiting classrooms, hosting science-themed assemblies, running science clubs, and holding Star Parties for schools and other groups around the GTA. He is also the author of the Astronomy Skylights newsletter and an operator of the DDO's 74" Great Telescope. Chris also provides us with our monthly ‘In the Night Sky’ updates.

February 7, 2019 at 8:00 PM

The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 551
79 Hamilton Street North, 2nd floor
Waterdown, Ontario  L0R 2H0

Image Credit - Chris Vaughan

Chuck. Bennett

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
I thought it was a great talk.  Chris is very engaging. If you could not make it out, or would like a refresher, a previous version is posted to Youtube. You can find it via the RASC TO link. 

https://rascto.ca/content/video-making-lunar-lemonade

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
Chuck, Thanks for the link and I agree that it was a super presentation. We often take our own natural satellite for granted but Chris made us realize just how special the Moon is and how much it has to offer to both visual astronomers and astrophotographers.

Ed

Jeff.Booth

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
Did Chris talk about the David Dunlap Observatory at all?
(Which he is heavily involved with ..)
The attached image shows Chris ... in costume as (I think) Doc Brown, from the movie Back to the Future.
What you see also is the the back end of the 74-inch telescope at the David Dunlap Observatory -- there is LOTS more too, just not in this image .... lol
jeff
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:15:20 PM by Jeff.Booth »
Jeff   
(aka 'Booter')

Muhammad.Ahmad

• Member of the Centre
  • Supernova class
    • Key Holder
    • MBApix
I was out of the country, but I heard it was a great talk with an improvised location!

Chris allowed me to post this attachment after his talk: a summary of lunar landmarks.

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
Jeff and Muhammad, We had a great meeting, even though the Legion hall was not open. I drove to the Royal Coachman and asked if they would host us and they were more than willing. About 26 of us crowded into a small room at the pub and enjoyed a great talk by Chris, after Bob took care of club business. I also asked Chris to speak about the DDO and he kindly obliged. It was rather nice to be able to sit with a drink and munchies while listening to his talk. The pub manager set up one of their big screens for us to use. We owe them a big thank you and it would be nice if the Board sent them a thank you card...just sayin'

Ed

Jeff.Booth

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
Oh wow!  Ed ... that sounds like  ... fantastic, man!!

I am so sorry I was double-booked that evening ..... :(

Gee, that Coachman experience sounds intriguing .... it seems to have worked out so very well for all concerned.

jeff
Jeff   
(aka 'Booter')

Jeff.Booth

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
Hi again, Ed et al ...

Really glad Chris was able to talk a bit about the David Dunlap Observatory.
It is soooooooo  close to Hamilton-Centre that it would make a great trip .... for an afternoon or evening, for anyone interested.
Folks might want to consider signing up for one of the tours/events/etc. at the DDO .... here is a link to the events page where you can see what is going on, the programs offered, etc. 

https://www.richmondhill.ca/en/david-dunlap-observatory.aspx

And to whet your appetite, here are some images, including ....
          - The clocks -- note that one is Sidereal time -- used to "align" the telescope's setting circles when locking onto a target. (Now, Sidereal Time apps, mind you ...)
          - Some fun Sci-Fi posters ... (on the way to the B-room for goodness sakes ...  :)
          - a image of the trussed optical tube assembly
          - night shot of the Administration Building and the Observatory Dome
          - image on the roof of the Admin Bldg.  There are three smaller observatory domes atop the admin building, one centre, others at each end. The lady is my wife (we met in Physics class, ya know....:)
          - the elegant Library, in the Admin Bldg.
          - the dome at night, with a space-themed movie being projected onto it (it was a public event ...)

And finally ... if interested, here is a link to a 27m National Film Board piece on the Universe, which significantly features the DDO in the early '60s (I think), when it was still a research facility owned and run by the University of Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gIN4hGOdI

Best
Jeff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:44:01 AM by Jeff.Booth »
Jeff   
(aka 'Booter')

Muhammad.Ahmad

• Member of the Centre
  • Supernova class
    • Key Holder
    • MBApix
Actually, the Board agreed that we should arrange a club trip to the DDO in the spring. Keep an eye out for it.