Linked Events

• Lumberjack Day at the Observatory – June 17: June 02, 2017

Author Topic: Lumberjack Day at the Observatory – June 17  (Read 5434 times)

Gary.Bennett

• Administrator
  • Stellar Class
    • Key Holder
Lumberjack Day at the Observatory – June 17
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
June 8 Update:
Only a 9 days to go and we have only had 4 volunteers including myself (thank you Troy McCoy, Ross Leonard, and Ed Mizzi). That is WAY WAY too much work to expect much of an improvement with only 4 people doing all the work. In fact, why bother?

Time to step-up gang! What you get from being a member is only as good as what you put into it.

Now, can we try this again? Who else will be there on June 17? Please contact me. Read below for more details.

Gary Bennett

For the first time in our 108 year history, we have permission from the city to cut down the trees that are obscuring our view of the sky. It took monumental effort from member Ed Mizzi to navigate through bureaucracy to make this good news happen. Now all we need is some helping hands to make it a reality.

On June 17, 10 AM - ??PM, all would-be Paul Bunion wannabes will gather on the observatory grounds and commence clearing the forest with extreme prejudice. Who am I talking about? YOU! We need your help.

Please contact me and confirm that you will be helping us make this happen. I would also like to know if you are able to bring:
-   Chainsaw
-   Safety:
      o   Goggles
      o   Hearing Protection
      o   Hard-Hat
-   Long & strong ropes/chains
-   Log Saw (hand type)
-   Large limb pruners 
-   4X4 vehicle

Our hope is that we can fell the trees, cut-off the branches, drag the trunk to the parking lot where we can cut into smaller logs. Branches will also be brought to the parking lot and we will rent a “chipper”. Some trunks will stay where they fall if they are unmanageable.
If any of you have special skills, please let me know. In particular, “tree topping”. There are trees near the road that are blocking our view, but we can’t cut those trees down completely. Ideally, if they can be “topped”, that would be great.

You do NOT need to know how to operate equipment. There will a job for every experience level. Many hands make light work.

Make sure you bring:
-   Boots – there are some swampy sections
-   Work gloves
-   Sun-Screen
-   Insect repellant
-   Tools if you have them.

Please contact me to confirm that you can be there to help on June 17:
   president@hamiltonrasc.ca

Gary Bennett
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:05:23 PM by Gary.Bennett »

Tim.Keating

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
Re: Lumberjack Day at the Observatory – June 17
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
I'd love to help out. I'm a brand new member. They days you have picked do not work for me. There is an 75% chance on the 17 I will be back in Hamilton and could help.  I do own a pickup and if there are items to go to the dump and I can pick up on my own I can. Or if there are other days nights other people will be out there please let me know.
Tim Keating
Y.O.U. Program, HWDSB

Gary.Bennett

• Administrator
  • Stellar Class
    • Key Holder
Re: Lumberjack Day at the Observatory – June 17
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
Thank you Tim!

A guy with a truck is always a good friend to have!

We had a good day last Saturday, but we still have more to do. We are planning on finishing, but will wait until the leaves have fallen. So, perhaps mid/late October. We will be renting a "chipper" for the branches & tress less than 6". For the larger pieces, there will be lots of firewood for anyone who wants it.