Author Topic: Introducing the New Club Library!  (Read 11436 times)

Abigail.Hughes

• Friend of the Centre
  • Planetary class
    • Key Holder
Introducing the New Club Library!
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
Our club library has now entered the 21st century with an online database, accessible by everyone.  All of the club books are now visible online at https://raschamilton.libib.com/.  With the books available to browse online, a new lending system will be inaugurated to accommodate members and promote accessibility.  The new system will be run through the email address library@hamilrasc.ca.

Process:
  • The member will email library@hamiltonrasc.ca with the title and author of the book they wish to borrow
  • Within 48 hours, the librarian will respond notifying the member if the book is available
  • If the book is not available, the member can request to hold the book and be emailed when the book is returned to the library
  • Once the book is available, the date and time for pickup will be arranged
  • Member can return books at club meetings or arrange a time to drop off the book

Members can arrange for books to be brought to club meetings for pick up.  You are also encouraged to email their reviews of the books which will be visible on the online catalog.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:30:01 AM by Muhammad.Ahmad »

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
Re: Introducing the New Club Library!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
Abigail,

This is simply amazing. You have certainly gone above and beyond the call of duty with this exciting endeavour. And books that have sat on shelves, collecting dust, for years are now more easily accessible to members. Kudos to you.
Thanks
Ed

Chris.Talpas

• Friend of the Centre
  • Supernova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:46 PM »
Wow!  Abigail, great job on this initiative.  Really want to thank you for taking on this project.
Chris

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:19:13 AM »
Taking some time to dive deeper into some of the club posts and came across this one. What a great idea Abigail! I see the post is from 2018 so I'm wondering a couple of things:

Is this system still up and running and how it's being managed?
Who is the librarian, currently?
When was the last time the library updated?
What needs to be done to ensure continuity of the program?
Can anyone show me how it all works? I'm thinking this might also be a good way to track equipment once it's all inventoried...

Looking for ways to make all the great resources of the club accessible.   
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob
Criterion RV-6 Dynascope EQ
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binocular

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 02:46:40 PM »
Victor, you are so keen about helping the club out. Not sure how often Abigail reads the Forum. She took on many roles a few years back, making the Hamilton Centre that much better, more inviting and more efficient. Maybe when we reconvene in the Fall (fingers crossed) you will get answers to your questions.

Ed

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 04:21:49 PM »
Not sure how many will read this but hopefully we can spread the word.

As you may know, the Centre has a lot of assets that are uncatalogued, and therefore under utilized and perhaps not so easy to access. To solve this and provide value for membership dollars a number of us are working on creating a lending library for all our stuff (books, scopes accessories and everything in between).

Abigail laid some great groundwork for the book library side of things and we're going to use that to expand the offering. There's a lot of work to be done to take our existing inventory and update it so that it can serve as the basis for what members can access.

I've found two websites that work together to reach the objective of a user friendly library reservation system. One of the site is called TinyCat (https://www.librarycat.org/) that acts as a cataloging system for small libraries. While it is book centric, I believe we can make it work for our purposes as it shows an item, description, status and few other fields.

The other site is LibraryThing (https://www.librarything.com/). It's the database backbone from which TinyCat provides the lendable assets. All of this for an almost ridiculously low cost.

Over the coming months we'll be building on the work of Eric Goldring and Bob Speck, who created an Excel catalogue of many of the scopes and accessories we own. From there we'll cross check to see what we still own, what's been sold or missing and/or unaccounted for. Once everything is properly inventoried we can load items into the library database and mark them for checkout. We'll do a bit of testing to make sure everything works and hopefully do the big reveal towards the end of the summer.

Some of this work will also include earmarking equipment that isn't immediately useful or necessary in carrying out maintenance on other Centre equipment. Such equipment we'll look at giving members first access to acquiring them. The rest will be sold through various channels so we can reinvest in loaner scopes or other equipment.

This is very exciting and I think much needed.

Meade 1060 10” RG Dob

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 07:41:41 AM »
Victor, this is a great plan. Kudos to you and the others helping you.
Ed

cdvideo

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 11:00:26 PM »
a quick question The June book review is on CCD cameras call The New CCD Astronomy.  I looked for it in the library but their is no listing for it. Is there a link on the home page for the library? If do I have to log in to see it? I am not able to login to the main web page but can login to the forums.

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 08:27:25 AM »
Hi Chris,

I don't have a link to the library on the website yet as things were in flux on a final online catalogue....

@Victor,  do we have a link I can add to the site?

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 10:34:35 PM »
Before we publish the site, could someone please try this link and email me a screenshot of what happens (before you enter any information)?
victor.abraham77@gmail.com

Try this site: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/HamiltonRASCAdmin/

If you require a Barcode or Patron ID - it's your 5-digit RASC member number.

I'm hoping that if you enter your member number it brings you to a screen that looks like the one I've attached.

Meade 1060 10” RG Dob

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »
Victor,

Done.  I used Edge for this one.  If you need me to do Chrome as well, let me know.

Bruce.Murray

• Member of the Board
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 08:21:51 PM »
Victor,

Great job getting all the books into the library!  How did you get me photos of the books look so good?

Bruce M
Bruce

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 08:26:06 PM »
I entered each one manually in Library Thing and it accesses a number of databases. Mostly it goes to Amazon.com but there are a few others. Most of the books I was able to find this way. Occasionally I had to do a Google search to find it and the ISBN. Once I had the ISBN Library Thing was able to find almost all of them. Only on a few did I have save images and then crop them.

If something was an older edition than what Amazon commonly displays then sometimes it was a matter of switching from hardcover to paperback. I have tricks!

Meade 1060 10” RG Dob

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 02:57:38 PM »
John, I use both Chrome and Safari. Is it possible to get those browsers connected? No pressure.
Please and thanks
Ed

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 11:43:07 PM »
With John’s feedback I’m reasonably certain that what I described is exactly what happens. Every member (membership list as on July 1) can access the library. At this point I have it set so anyone can put something on hold. Once I get a notification that some thing is on hold I can sign it out and make arrangements to get it to you.

I will be adding another admin so we can spread the responsibility out.

There’s still a bit more work to do before an official launch and tutorial, but for all intents the site is ready to go. Much thanks to Rhea for spending countless hours matching hoots and cataloguing equipment.
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob