Author Topic: Observatory Night - May 10th, 2019!  (Read 4375 times)

Roger Hill

• Former Orbit Editor
  • Administrator
  • Quasar class
  • Hanging around the Hamilton Centre since 1970
    • Key Holder
Observatory Night - May 10th, 2019!
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »
Tonight, the Moon will be passing through M44, the Beehive Cluster, and the Clear Sky Chart ( ]http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/HamCenObskey.html?1 ) indicates that it will be clear!

A lunar occultation is when the Moon passes in front of a star. 
Since the Moon is airless, and the star is essentially a point source, the star will blink out when the Moon’s orbital motion carries it in front of the star.  Which makes another feature of this night a good one: Earthshine will give you a good idea as to when the star will be covered.

]Sometimes, a star will appear to graze the edge of the Moon, and will blink several times as it shines down a lunar valley, or is hidden by some mountain peak.  Those of you who witnessed (or saw the video) the grazing occultation of Aldebaran in March of 2017 will know how spectacular such an event can be.  In this case, though, the brightest graze might be of a star that is only 10th magnitude. 

Occasionally, a star will dim before going out, giving an indication that the star is a very close double.  Aldebaran did this, although not because it is a double star, but because it is actually quite large, and some lunar mountains only covered part of the star. 
If you’re doing something other than lunar observing, let me know when you arrive, and I (or another experienced observer) can help you.  Otherwise, I’ll just wander around being nosy and asking if I can help!

As always, everyone is welcome, and the gates will open about 7:30pm.

If you bring your own telescope, park on the north side of the parking lot (to your left as you drive in).

The corollary is that if you don’t have a telescope, park on the south side unless there aren’t any spots. 

Turn your headlights off as quickly as you can.

Dress as if it was 10° C cooler than it’s supposed to be.

Bring a clipboard, a couple of pencils, and one of those Canadian Tire headlamp flashlights that has a red LED setting.

Be aware of people and telescopes if you arrive after dark.

Keep the observatory door closed, and only turn on the lights that you need. 

There is power available, but bring your own extension cord.  If you do, bring a power bar too, but don’t unplug anything without asking first...some telescopes need to go through an elaborate routine at start-up, or someone may be in the middle of an exposure.

If you use the whiteboard to make, or illustrate, a point, please clean it off when you’re done.

Take away your coffee cups and other garbage...if you carried it to the site, you can carry it home!

See you in the dark at 576 7th Concession West, Flamborough

https://www.google.com/maps/place/576+Concession+7+E,+Millgrove,+ON+L0R+1V0/@43.3907196,-79.9252747,790m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b7cd3ba25abd7:0x8997ac7064e017e4!8m2!3d43.3907196!4d-79.923086
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:32:16 PM by SubOrbitalRoger »