<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=ltr>
<DIV dir=ltr>
<DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>At this point, I'm not sure what the best tactics would be.</DIV>
<UL>
  <LI>have one person (like me) try and establish a \u201cbeach-head\u201d (for an 
  informal group of amateur astronomers) ?? - I tried this once with Richmond 
  Hill, and it went nowhere 
  <LI>have our directors make a presentation to City of Burlington, perhaps 
  sweetening the deal with \u201call comers are welcome\u201d (i.e. \u201coutreach\u201d) \u2013 sounds 
  like this will go nowhere too (c.f. Spencer Smith Park)</LI></UL>
<DIV>I\u2019m not inclined to go off like a loose-cannon and \u201cdirty our ticket\u201d, and 
so propose our directors discussing first before anyone (myself included) 
approaches City of Burlington.&nbsp; If this is a good viewing site, we should 
line our ducks up first in order to maximize our chances of getting to use a 
site that would be convenient to many in our club.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-David</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message----- </DIV>
<DIV>From: Gary Bennett </DIV>
<DIV>Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:14 PM </DIV>
<DIV>To: astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca </DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ?? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Are you offering to buy the permits? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message-----</DIV>
<DIV>From: astronomers-bounces@hamiltonrasc.ca 
[mailto:astronomers-bounces@hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of Jeff Lillycrop</DIV>
<DIV>Sent: July-15-12 5:27 PM</DIV>
<DIV>To: astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>Cc: astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ??</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well if the crowd gets unruly, you just pull out the permit and everything 
calms down. Its a little known fact, that almost all riots could be prevented if 
permits were issued.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sent from my iPad</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On 2012-07-15, at 17:21, Ed Mizzi &lt;emizzi@cogeco.ca&gt; wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; David, </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; Looks like a potential site and it's great that you're watching out 
for us. I do not know all of the details, but the main reason we do not do 
Sidewalk Astronomy at Spencer Smith Park is that, suddenly, the City of 
Burlington decided that we had to have a permit. They are expensive and would be 
required each time we used the park. Our club is a not-for-profit org. and we 
cannot afford costs like that. I'm guessing that Lowville might be the same. 
Anyone from the Board reading this may correct me on my take on this issue, in 
case I have the facts incorrect.</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; I find it rather amusing that one of the main reasons for a permit is 
because of drawing a crowd that may get unruly...I can just see the 
headlines...Amateur Astronomers Involved in riot over who got to look through 
the telescope First"??!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; Ed</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; On 2012-07-15, at 1:36 PM, David MacMillan wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; Has anyone in the club inquired with City of Burlington about 
getting a special permit to use the park at Lowville for viewing / AP ?</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; My wife and I had not been there for 12 \u2013 13 years, and we checked 
it out this morning.&nbsp; There are a two open fields that are completely 
surrounded by trees that might make excellent sites.&nbsp; Each field has a 
covered in area should it start to rain.&nbsp; See attachment for aerial 
view.</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; I see a couple of hurdles.&nbsp; The first and obvious one is that 
no-one is allowed in the park after 11pm.&nbsp; The second one may be that 
lights are left on atop the service buildings on the edge of the fields.</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; Unless someone already knows that this idea is a big non-starter, 
I\u2019ll call C of B to see if a permit may be obtained (to be in the park after 
11pm).</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; -David MacMillan</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; Milton</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; &lt;Lowville Park Aerial 
View.jpg&gt;_______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; astronomers mailing list</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; 
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>&gt; _______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; astronomers mailing list</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; 
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>_______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>astronomers mailing list</DIV>
<DIV>astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>_______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>astronomers mailing list</DIV>
<DIV>astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV>
<DIV>http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>