<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Exchange Server">
<!-- converted from text --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; padding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
<body>
<div class="PlainText">There's compression and then there's compression. &quot;lossless compression&quot; changes file size without altering pixel-by-pixel raster data. Lossy compression (like JPG) alters the bitmap data to save file space. Some cameras can store data
 straight to TIFF files. No loss.<br>
<br>
--- Original Message ---<br>
<br>
From: &quot;Mark Kaye&quot; &lt;mark.kaye@sympatico.ca&gt;<br>
Sent: November 30, 2013 8:18 AM<br>
To: astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca<br>
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Pentax Astro Tracer<br>
<br>
</div>
<div style="background-color:#ffffff">On 13-11-30 7:51, Andy Blanchard wrote:
<blockquote type="cite">
<div>Hi Mark, I was wondering why you think the best way to do dark subtraction is to let the camera do it? Is this based on fact or conjecture? As I have been telling my students just the opposite.
<br>
</div>
</blockquote>
<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Both Terry and Alan have done side by sides using darks and letting the camera handle it.&nbsp; They both conclude that the camera does a better job.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I always assumed that RAW meant you get exactly what the chip produces.&nbsp; Turns out this is not the case.&nbsp; When looking at the data for the ORFs that came out of the Olympus, I noticed a value indicating the percentage of compression.&nbsp; Since I thought that
 RAWs where not compressed, I did some research and discovered that even RAW images are compressed.&nbsp; It is much less effective to do your dark processing on compressed images, even the small amount that is done to RAW images.<br>
<pre class="x_moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
   Clear Skies!
               MK

<a class="x_moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/mark.kaye/index.htm">http://www3.sympatico.ca/mark.kaye/index.htm</a></pre>
</div>
</body>
</html>