<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7654.12">
<TITLE>Was: [Hamilton RASCals] New Email System - Check, Check, Double Check</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi, Gary...<BR>
<BR>
So this is where it properly belongs?<BR>
<BR>
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for all the work you've done.&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
As a LAN/Network/System administrator, I'm fully aware of how much work it can be...which is why I was happy to have Mark Kaye and Dave Lane (et al) look after it!&nbsp; I ran a listserv in my basement for a couple of years back in the mid '90's.&nbsp; The Hamilton Centre web site ran on it too. Windows NT3.51, 16 Meg of RAM (at $55 a meg) and 160 megs of hard drive space.&nbsp; Once I found out about eGroups in mid 1998, it was moved over.&nbsp; Yahoo! bought them out, and we used their facilities for a while.&nbsp; In 2003, the offer came in that the Dave Lane could set up a listserv for each Centre, running on a machine (or a cluster) in Halifax, at no cost to the Centre.&nbsp; The Hamilton Centre ended up with three of them.<BR>
<BR>
So much for the history.<BR>
<BR>
A couple more questions, if you don't mind.&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Have you considered putting a time limit for non-members on the Astronomers list?&nbsp; One of the things we'd toyed with a few years ago was a &quot;trial&quot; membership.&nbsp; The term was six months, and if you did not join by the end of the 6 months, access was revoked.&nbsp; There were limits.&nbsp; You couldn't be a key-holder, you couldn't vote or attend Board meetings (except by invitation), get National publications, etc. For all other intents, though, the trial-member was to be treated as a member.<BR>
<BR>
We actually got a few members this way...they'd come to rely on access, and when it was taken away, they joined, and then got the full range of services.<BR>
<BR>
We also wanted to make sure that current members didn't feel that they were paying for services that were being given away to others.&nbsp; It was, after all, their dues that were paying for insurance, hydro, snow clearing, room rental, etc.&nbsp; Perhaps most importantly, it was the expertise of the current members that was being marketed.&nbsp; Stating that access was time-limited kept everybody happy.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Secondly, would it be possible to publish to the Members list the application, or the reasons why someone wants access to the Astronomers list?&nbsp; Just something like &quot;Please welcome Mary Messier to the astronomers list.&nbsp; Mary lives in Flamborough, is interested in solar system observing, and wants to buy a telescope.&nbsp; She heard about us through her local paper.&quot;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Should she graduate, perhaps give her one of those nice laminated name cards we used for Board members a couple of years ago (but would say Member on it, of course).&nbsp; I have no doubt that Andy would thoroughly enjoy making a big deal of presenting this at a general meeting (and rightly so).<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Again, thanks for the hard work, Gary.&nbsp; And I greatly appreciate all the information.<BR>
<BR>
Roger<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
-----Original Message-----<BR>
From: hamilton-bounces@lists.rasc.ca on behalf of Gary Bennett<BR>
Sent: Sun 18/03/2012 12:55 AM<BR>
To: 'Hamilton RASCals'<BR>
Subject: Re: [Hamilton RASCals] New Email System - Check, Check, Double Check<BR>
<BR>
Before I get into the meat &amp; potatoes, we should consider that this message<BR>
thread is filling the inboxes of ALL RASCals members. So far there are only<BR>
3 of you that expressed any interest in knowing more details of our new<BR>
email system. So I am going to ask in advance, if anyone wishes to<BR>
participate further in this discussion, they should contact me off-group so<BR>
that we don't annoy those who are not interested in this topic.<BR>
<BR>
I would also suggest that this is exactly the type of topic that our new<BR>
Forum is designed for (forum.hamiltonrasc.ca).<BR>
<BR>
Rest assured that our communication plans are designed to be easy to use and<BR>
secure.<BR>
<BR>
OK, now that we have that out of the way, let's get into it.<BR>
<BR>
The new methods of communicating are simple.<BR>
<BR>
1)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A single email delivery system that broadcasts to several lists.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - astronomers@hamiltonrasc.ca - everyone including non members is on<BR>
this list<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - members@hamiltonrasc.ca - RASC Members and Associate Members only<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - board@hamiltonrasc.ca - Current Board of Directors<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Each of these lists are &quot;subscriber based&quot; which means you need to<BR>
be a subscriber to send email to the list. If you are NOT a &quot;subscriber&quot; it<BR>
requires moderator (me) intervention (approval) or it goes nowhere. Everyone<BR>
has already been &quot;pre-subscribed&quot; based on membership status.<BR>
<BR>
2)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A on-line forum. Self explanatory<BR>
<BR>
3)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A general website<BR>
<BR>
4)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A Facebook site - mainly to post our interactive event calendar.<BR>
Interactive meaning that Program Managers can post and update the calendar<BR>
for events they are running. They don't need to be HTML programmers and they<BR>
don't need to wait for me to do it for them. Newspapers (yes, we are getting<BR>
press coverage) can post a simple URL: <A HREF="http://hamiltonrasc.ca/events">http://hamiltonrasc.ca/events</A> which<BR>
talks about our different events and takes them to our event calendar.<BR>
Anyone can view the Facebook calendar even if they don't have a facebook<BR>
account. I plan to eliminate the Yahoo Calendar and eventually our main<BR>
website will have an interactive calendar.<BR>
<BR>
Orbit is a publication, but I would not call it a communication method.<BR>
<BR>
Now that we have a Bulletin Board up and running there is no reason to<BR>
continue with the Yahoo Group. We'll leave it there for now, but eventually<BR>
it will evaporate.<BR>
<BR>
The old RASCals and &quot;Announce&quot; List is going to be switched off. I'm not<BR>
sure what the timetable is, RASC National is working on it.<BR>
<BR>
Your follow-up email asked about having some personal control over which<BR>
list you are on. Generally, it is going to be an all-or-nothing option.<BR>
RASCals was the same. Non-members won't be on the &quot;Members&quot; list, but<BR>
Members will be on the &quot;Astronomers&quot; list. I can certainly unsubscribe<BR>
anyone who does not want to be on the &quot;astronomers&quot; list but you will be<BR>
missing out on just about everything by doing so. The &quot;members&quot; list should<BR>
be reserved for club business. There is no good reason to omit non-members<BR>
from astronomy related discussions. Even non-members don't get on our<BR>
&quot;astronomers&quot; list until they have passed the litmus test...who are you and<BR>
why do you want to join.<BR>
<BR>
The back-end of our new email list system was designed to service on-line<BR>
forums. It has features that we have chosen NOT to use. In particular, list<BR>
user registration, user passwords, digest options, and a host of other<BR>
things. All of these features give spammers a back-door entrance. They can't<BR>
go anywhere until a moderator approves them, but I don't need that headache<BR>
so our list is &quot;CLOSED&quot;. The only way anyone gets onto the list is if the<BR>
list moderator (me) puts them there.<BR>
<BR>
So yes, there is a &quot;digest option&quot; but it is way too much work and I won't<BR>
be volunteering for that.<BR>
<BR>
We have done everything within reason to make everything we do as secure as<BR>
we can, and every bit as secure as our old email system. Short of unplugging<BR>
from the grid, it is as good as it gets.<BR>
<BR>
By now I hope you are satisfied that a lot of thought, time and energy has<BR>
been expended to take us forward. You have as many facts as I can offer. I<BR>
am tired but I still have a lot of work ahead.<BR>
<BR>
Now it is your turn to support your club and help us move ahead. AND....<BR>
let's get back to doing a some astronomy and have some fun!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Gary Bennett<BR>
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>