<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7654.12">
<TITLE>RCI Lecture: Weighing the Universe with Gravitational Lensing</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Due to a snow storm this lecture, a joint production of the Royal Canadian Institure for the Advancement of Science and the RASC Mississauga Centre was cancelled. It has been re-scheduled for Monday, March 18.<BR>
<BR>
The RCI, and I, thought some members may be interested in the lecture titled Weighing the Universe with Gravitational Lensing.<BR>
<BR>
RCI lectures are free and open to the public. A description of the lecture follows, and further details can be found at <A HREF="http://royalcanadianinstitute.org/">http://royalcanadianinstitute.org/</A>.<BR>
<BR>
Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
Monday, March 18th at 7:30 pm&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
Location:<BR>
Noel Ryan Auditorium, Mississauga Central Library,<BR>
301 Burnamthorpe Road W., Mississauga<BR>
<BR>
Title:<BR>
Weighing the Universe with Gravitational Lensing<BR>
<BR>
Lecturer:<BR>
Laura Parker, B.Sc., Ph.D., Department of Physics and Astronomy,<BR>
McMaster University, Hamilton<BR>
<BR>
Synopsis:<BR>
Most of the mass in the Universe is believed to be in an unseen form called dark matter.&nbsp; In this talk I will present the observational evidence leading to this incredible realization.&nbsp; I will then focus in particular on the use of gravitational lensing to investigate dark matter.&nbsp; In gravitational lensing light is bent by the presence of&nbsp; massive objects in much the same way that an optical lens bends light.&nbsp;&nbsp; Remarkably, we can use lensing to study the amount and distribution of dark matter in the universe on scales ranging from individual galaxies to the entire universe itself.<BR>
<BR>
This is a joint lecture with the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Mississauga Centre<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I have no further details than this.&nbsp; If anyone goes, I'd appreciate knowing more...RCI sounds like a good organization.<BR>
<BR>
Roger Hill</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>