Author Topic: Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED  (Read 2156 times)

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED
« on: July 04, 2023, 06:23:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Please be informed that effective immediately, and at least for the time being, the Hamilton Centre Observatory is closed.  Further information to come.

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
Re: Hamilton Centre Observatory is temporarily CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 11:17:01 PM »
Just a quick update for everyone who may be wondering what happened. More details will be shared in the coming days, however we believe that sometime yesterday some individuals vandalized the doors to both the buildings and compromised the structures. It's currently unsafe to enter either of the buildings. Law enforcement has been notified and Bob P, Andy, John W. and myself have taken steps to securing the premises for the time being. More details will follow as we come to know more information.

This is very unfortunate as we were just restarting our Friday Nights at the observatory.
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob
Criterion RV-6 Dynascope EQ
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binocular

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 10:17:16 AM »
Victor, so fortunate to have you, Andy, Bob and John looking after this for the Centre. I was so saddened when I saw the photos.
I'm sure you have thought of this, but at some time, should we notify National as a caution to other clubs and as a way to possibly get some relief funding to rebuild?
Just a thought
Thanks
Ed

Jeff.Parsons

• Member of the Centre
  • Stellar Class
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
Terrible news.
Following on Ed's note if the media/social media were notified maybe someone saw or heard something and would report.

John.Devonshire

• Administrator
  • Nova class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:08:06 AM »
Ed,

I haven't seen any photos yet...is it just the building that was damaged, or is it also the scopes?

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 04:26:48 PM »
Victor, so fortunate to have you, Andy, Bob and John looking after this for the Centre. I was so saddened when I saw the photos.
I'm sure you have thought of this, but at some time, should we notify National as a caution to other clubs and as a way to possibly get some relief funding to rebuild?
Just a thought
Thanks
Ed

As good of an idea as it is for relief funding - National barely has enough money to keep three staff members or fund solar outreach let alone funds for repairing assets. The good news is that we have insurance so there's coverage for our damages.

@ John - the photos were posted in the Signal group yesterday but I can send them your way. We'll post them to the Board area of the forum for record keeping purposes, but I don't thinks it's something everyone wants or needs to see.

Meade 1060 10” RG Dob

Jenn Truax

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 07:33:23 PM »
How sad that someone would do such a thing.  I was looking forward to bringing my daughter out to see the stars now that I am feeling better post surgery.

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 11:16:03 PM »
We may still do the Friday Night at the Observatory - stay tuned...
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob

Bruce.Cornelius

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 11:35:52 PM »
I could bring the Mac 12" LX200.  The mount doesn't work but it can be used manually.  I just checked out M57 and M13 and they are quite nice through it.  As long as there is someone to help load and unload I'm in.

Bruce C.

Ed.Mizzi

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 11:46:48 AM »
As a member of several years, I want to say how thankful I am to our current Board of Directors for their quick and comprehensive work on getting the OB secured and things in order. The hours they have spent on the site, online and on the phone are testament to their commitment to our Centre and their dedicated volunteer work.
THANK YOU
Ed

Jeff.Booth

• Member of the Centre
  • Quasar class
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 03:39:14 PM »
Indeed, I echo Ed Mizzi's appreciation.
A fast, professional, involved response.
Impressive.
Welcome.
Governance at its best.
Jeff
Jeff   
(aka 'Booter')

cdvideo

• Member of the Centre
  • Planetary class
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 11:51:21 AM »
Just a heads up I am  security system and CCTV installer for a number of years I have have done repairs and installs for Rona the Hamilton and Halton board of education and for both Burlington and Hamilton cities. Broadcast engineer for Cable 14 ,building their mobile truck and rewire of the studio control room, 

I have install a cellular alarm panel in my trailer in Backus I used a 50 dollar per year sim card for it. It can call 6 telephone numbers with text messages saying what area is open. You can added vibration sensors to the doors and windows and the walls if needed this way if they try to break the door the alarm will trigger and prevent entry well sort of, with an alarm siren going off they will be unsure if the police are coming or not and may back off and leave. The cell service may be weak but a text message does not need a strong signal to send. The panel can also we access remotely to check status and to remove or add access codes.

A key less door dead bolt can be used to remotely allow a person entry and or you can have access codes given to trusted members a code that can be deactivated if the member leave the group. This is also handy to keep track of when and who access the building.  Yes it will cost money but with the deductible in the insurance being what it is it can be less costly and to try to replace stolen gear and other non replaceable items is time consuming and  can be frustrating.

If interested I will source different alarm panels door access and even cel phone booster systems

Dan C

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks for this suggestion Dan. I will share it at the Board meeting this evening.
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob