Author Topic: Eclipse Glasses Collection (for donation)  (Read 59 times)

Victor.Abraham

• Member of the Board
  • Quasar class
    • Key Holder
Eclipse Glasses Collection (for donation)
« on: April 10, 2024, 11:21:12 AM »
Some of you may have seen that we've posted (through social media) a plan to collect gently used solar glasses. This wasn't part of an plan in place prior to the eclipse, but a link to the Astronomers Without Borders site came across my desk and I think it's a wonderful idea. Astronomers without Borders have been collecting and redistributing glasses since 2008. They distribute them to people that otherwise wouldn’t have access to safe solar viewing options.

This initiative all started yesterday when I posted the thought to social media. https://www.reddit.com/r/BurlingtonON/comments/1c0k6yg/collecting_eclipse_glasses/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

It's posted to the Hamilton, Burlington, and Oakville subreddits. I've also posted a Facebook Marketplace ad across several groups. I've also reached out to any ads within a reasonable distance to see if they'd be willing to donate their remaining supply. We've already had 50 glasses donated and more promised.

This is evolving quickly with both McMaster Department of Astronomy and Physics being onboard as well as the Hamilton Public Library as collection partners. In speaking to the HPL I've also found out they have a number of pictures in their archive of the DB Marsh Observatory and Nefoudland eclipse expedition (which they are sending me).

More to come...
Meade 1060 10” RG Dob
Criterion RV-6 Dynascope EQ
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binocular