RASC Hamilton [ Special Announcement] Paramount Scope Mount RepairSuccess - Final Assembly Tonight!!!

Ron Shields rjshields at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 6 16:48:22 EDT 2012


Hi Gary,
I would have loved to come out and help you and Andy tonight. But, I have been battling a severe (Klingon?) head cold for the last week that has also affected everyone at work. So, I will keep it at home and wish you both good luck with the repair job ahead. I will take a rain check on the Hydrogen Alpha visual of the Moon as I would really like to see the Moon too through “rose-coloured glasses”. Would suggest putting a hinged cage of fine steel mesh screen on a shaped chicken-wire shell around the mount to prevent further rodent intrusions when the ‘scope is not in use. Once they find a warm home, it is difficult to keep them out. Good luck.
Ron Shields
From: Gary Bennett 
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 4:14 PM
To: announce at hamiltonrasc.ca 
Subject: [RASC Hamilton Special Announcement] Paramount Scope Mount RepairSuccess - Final Assembly Tonight!!!

Good News!

 

Andy and I were successful in repairing the damage done by the inconsiderate mice. We took the mount to Andy’s workshop to carry out surgery.

 

In all, there were 6 wires that had been chewed through. The mice obviously preferred the taste of DEC wires because RA wires were untouched. We also were able to remove the bit of nut shells that made their way into the DEC shaft bearings.

 

Tonight we will be heading to the observatory to reinstall the mount and scope. After that we will adjust Polar alignment and do a short run to tune pointing accuracy. 

 

We would welcome your company if you feel like lending a helping hand. If you can stay out late enough we should have everything finished in time to have some fun with the refurbished mount. Andy discovered the best view of a full moon you will ever see. A imaging Hydrogen Alpha filter does a fabulous job and dimming down the bright moon and reveals amazing details that you can only see with the Ha Filter.

 

It will be crystal clear tonight but it will get chilly so dress warm.

 

Oh, and we are going to be reducing the clutter of wires on the back of the scope. I have made a power console that sit atop of the scope and provides different voltages:

-          2V for the illuminated reticle on the finder scope

-          5V for the USB hub

-          8V to power a Canon DSLR camera

-          12V for cooling fans (we will reconnect them at some point), dew heater controller (coming soon).

This will eliminate several cables running through the mount and it will also eliminate the need for a bunch of AC adapters. 

 

I will be posting pictures of the operation in a few days.

 

  Gary Bennett

 

This email to the “Announce List” is a one-way email. Replies (forward) should be made to astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca

 

 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Announce mailing list
Announce at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/announce_hamiltonrasc.ca
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20120406/2bec952d/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the astronomers mailing list