RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ??

Jeff Lillycrop agman102 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 15 21:16:10 EDT 2012


No, just pointing out the ridicules and unnecessary requirements forced upon anybody trying to do anything by a group of self important redundant city officials

I am very lucky, i live out in the country, i just have to step out into the backyard to observe, i invite family and friends over to view any interesting events that maybe happening, No permit required. 

Jeff

    

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-07-15, at 19:14, "Gary Bennett" <gary at bendun.net> wrote:

> Are you offering to buy the permits? 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of Jeff Lillycrop
> Sent: July-15-12 5:27 PM
> To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> Cc: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ??
> 
> Well if the crowd gets unruly, you just pull out the permit and everything calms down. Its a little known fact, that almost all riots could be prevented if permits were issued.
> 
> Sent from my iPad
> 
> On 2012-07-15, at 17:21, Ed Mizzi <emizzi at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> 
>> David, 
>> 
>> Looks like a potential site and it's great that you're watching out for us. I do not know all of the details, but the main reason we do not do Sidewalk Astronomy at Spencer Smith Park is that, suddenly, the City of Burlington decided that we had to have a permit. They are expensive and would be required each time we used the park. Our club is a not-for-profit org. and we cannot afford costs like that. I'm guessing that Lowville might be the same. Anyone from the Board reading this may correct me on my take on this issue, in case I have the facts incorrect.
>> 
>> I find it rather amusing that one of the main reasons for a permit is because of drawing a crowd that may get unruly...I can just see the headlines...Amateur Astronomers Involved in riot over who got to look through the telescope First"??!!!
>> 
>> Ed
>> 
>> 
>> On 2012-07-15, at 1:36 PM, David MacMillan wrote:
>> 
>>> Has anyone in the club inquired with City of Burlington about getting a special permit to use the park at Lowville for viewing / AP ?
>>> 
>>> My wife and I had not been there for 12 – 13 years, and we checked it out this morning.  There are a two open fields that are completely surrounded by trees that might make excellent sites.  Each field has a covered in area should it start to rain.  See attachment for aerial view.
>>> 
>>> I see a couple of hurdles.  The first and obvious one is that no-one is allowed in the park after 11pm.  The second one may be that lights are left on atop the service buildings on the edge of the fields.
>>> 
>>> Unless someone already knows that this idea is a big non-starter, I’ll call C of B to see if a permit may be obtained (to be in the park after 11pm).
>>> 
>>> -David MacMillan
>>> Milton
>>> <Lowville Park Aerial View.jpg>_______________________________________________
>>> astronomers mailing list
>>> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
>>> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> astronomers mailing list
>> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
>> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> 
> _______________________________________________
> astronomers mailing list
> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> astronomers mailing list
> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca



More information about the astronomers mailing list