RASC Hamilton Pondering Celestron CG5 Mount - Any Tips /Suggestions ?
David MacMillan
starchemist at cogeco.ca
Sun Jun 17 21:16:41 EDT 2012
Gary, is this the mount (Orion version) you’re referring to ??
http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/GoTo-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-Sirius-EQ-G-Computerized-GoTo-Telescope-Mount/pc/-1/c/2/sc/36/p/24336.uts
-David
From: Gary Bennett
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:55 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Pondering Celestron CG5 Mount - Any Tips /Suggestions ?
Having been down this road not so long ago, my advice is based on how many times I said to myself “I wish I would have....” after choosing the less expensive option. I would have saved myself many $K if I would have made a 1-time purchase instead of continually upgrading to the next step.
You did NOT scrimp on the telescope. The Stellarvue is a fine APO telescope and if you do want to venture into astrophotography, your Stellarvue is a superb astrophotography telescope for beginners and pros alike. When you are ready to try your hand at imaging the mount will become even more important than the telescope and the camera.
Based on that, I am going to add a 3rd mount to your list of options: Sywatcher EQ6 Pro. The same mount is also sold as an Orion EQ-G. Except for paint colour and brand name they are identical. The design of this mount has been around for quite a few years and remains the all-time best “bang for the buck” mount ever sold. It is almost identical to the Celestron CGEM except for motor and software. The EQ6 mount has a HUGE pool of people who can give your advice and there are tons of free software applications that help you get the most out of your mount.
I have seen several CG5 mounts in action and was not impressed. The CGEM has been around for 2 years but the EQ6 has a much longer track record and except for software has remained unchanged for an impressively long time. The only reason that you would ever want to upgrade from an EQ6 is if you plan to go to a much bigger telescope that weighs more than 40 pounds.
My 2 cents worth!
Gary Bennett
From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of David MacMillan
Sent: June-17-12 6:38 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton Pondering Celestron CG5 Mount - Any Tips / Suggestions ?
I purchased my Stellarvue 110ED refractor with that company’s heavy duty surveyor trip and M2 alt-az mount. This setup is quite portable, however unless you know the skies like the back of your hand (or better !!) it presents some challenges in some circumstances:
a.. at recent Binbrook Conservation Area cub-scout event, I was going “nudge-nudge” about every 2nd or 3rd little person to make sure all got a reasonably centred view of the moon (used a 24mm / 68 degree AFOV eyepiece on this F7 OTA)
b.. I had a “Galileo moment” that night, seeing my first Messier object, but all credit due to Gary Colwell and his rather impressive Takahashi set-up !!
In order to provide go-to / equatorial tracking for my OTA, Stellarvue recommends two of Celestron’s mounts: CG5 or CGEM. There are substantial differences between these mounts:
a.. CG5 - more portable / cheaper
b.. CGEM - much heavier & more stable / handles more payload / better tracking / ~ double the cost of a CG5
If you look at reviews on both of these mounts, you’ll find the good, the bad and the ugly. From what I can piece together, quality control for the CG5 might be a bit more hit / miss, and you might need to do some serious tune up to what comes “out of the box”.
I should add that I’m not yet into astrophotography (but never say never!!) and would be doing observing only for the next 2 – 3 years.
Thoughts ??
-David MacMillan
Milton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20120617/3cf70190/attachment-0002.htm>
More information about the astronomers
mailing list