RASC Hamilton Transit of Venus

Ed Mizzi emizzi at cogeco.ca
Sat May 12 10:36:09 EDT 2012


Will, I'm going to take a look on the WWW to search for solar projector screens

Ed


On 2012-05-12, at 10:33 AM, will gray wrote:

> Hi Ed and Jeff,
>  
> I am in the same boat as well,  there will be a bunch of students at my highschool who will be very interested in seeing the transit and I think the best way to view it is by using my 80 mm referactor with a projection screen..... I feel safer and happier about doing this than handing out  25 pairs of goggles and having some potential mishaps....but I've never done it before and want to make sure I do it safely and properly.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated as well.
>  
> Will
>  
> > From: emizzi at cogeco.ca
> > Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 10:29:01 -0400
> > To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Transit of Venus
> > 
> > Jeff, I want to use a solar projection screen with a group of young students. Do you have ideas about how to set that up. I was hoping to use both a pair of binoculars and an 8" Dob?
> > 
> > Ed
> > 
> > 
> > On 2012-05-12, at 6:47 AM, Jeffrey Coe wrote:
> > 
> > > Hi RASCals,
> > > 
> > > Not to forget: the use of a solar projection screen.
> > > 
> > > Jeff
> > > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > > From: "Al Jones" <althemanjones at gmail.com>
> > > To: <astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca>
> > > Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:00 AM
> > > Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Transit of Venus
> > > 
> > > 
> > >> ROGER
> > >> Thanks for that advice. I did not realize the mylar was a sharper image.
> > >> See u at the transit perhaps.
> > >> AL
> > >> 
> > >> On 2012-05-11, at 23:58, "Roger Hill" <Roger.Hill at hiteach.net> wrote:
> > >> 
> > >>> Al...
> > >>> 
> > >>> Mylar gives a better image. I've used both, and while I like the colour
> > >>> that is produced by InCoNel filters, the image is sharper using mylar.
> > >>> 
> > >>> Further, since mylar is coated on both sides (the good filters are,
> > >>> anyway), if there is a pinhole or a scratch, it's less likely to go
> > >>> right through.
> > >>> 
> > >>> Lastly, if you drop the mylar filter, it is far more likely to survive.
> > >>> 
> > >>> Roger
> > >>> 
> > >>> -----Original Message-----
> > >>> From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >>> [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of Al Jones
> > >>> Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 7:41 PM
> > >>> To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >>> Subject: RASC Hamilton Transit of Venus
> > >>> 
> > >>> Hi Gary
> > >>> 
> > >>> I have a CPC 1100 but no solar filter. I've tried to a get a glass one
> > >>> from Efston Science but no stock. They said mylar possible but much less
> > >>> durable.
> > >>> 
> > >>> Suggestions?
> > >>> 
> > >>> Thx
> > >>> 
> > >>> Al
> > >>> _______________________________________________
> > >>> astronomers mailing list
> > >>> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >>> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >>> 
> > >>> _______________________________________________
> > >>> astronomers mailing list
> > >>> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >>> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >> 
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> astronomers mailing list
> > >> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > >> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > astronomers mailing list
> > > astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > > http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > astronomers mailing list
> > astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> _______________________________________________
> astronomers mailing list
> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca




More information about the astronomers mailing list