RASC Hamilton New Observers to Visual Astronomy - 2014
Ken Knoflook
kenknoflook at cogeco.ca
Wed Dec 11 18:01:50 EST 2013
Hi Roger.
Is this the same course that we had last winter? Or is it Part 2?
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of
Roger Hill
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:49 AM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton New Observers to Visual Astronomy - 2014
Hi, Troy!
Nothing else, actually. Once you've informed me that you will take the
course, all you have to do is just show up at our Observatory on Monday,
February 3rd at 7:30pm EST.
The class size is limited. We had 16 people registered for the 2013
session, and it was a touch cramped. We're looking at other solutions, but
we may have to cut down on the numbers for the 2014 session. Since you're
among the first 12 people to have said they want to take the course, this
isn't a problem for you.
If you decide, for whatever reason, that you don't want to take the course,
then I'd appreciate you letting me know as soon as you've made the decision,
so I don't print off a set of materials with your name on them. That
happened twice last year.
There are some expectations, like access to a planetarium program like Earth
Centred Universe (free with the RASC Handbook in 2013 and 2014.
Oh, and some High School math is assumed, too. There is some discussion
around stellar distances, so an idea about basic trigonometry is also
assumed. No math has to be worked out, just be familiar with the idea.
You don't have to ahve a telescope as members can borrow one of several
scopes.
We'll be starting at 7:30 with some observing (sessions will be run by the
excellent Mark Pickett). I've alotted 2 hours of "classroom" time, but I
hope I won't have to use it all. However, if there are questions (and I
hope there are), then the class has been known to digress and I'd like to
ensure that there's enough time that I'm not keeping anyone up past their
bedtime!
I hope this has helped, and I'm looking forward to seeing you on February
3rd (or sooner).
Roger
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers on behalf of Troy McCoy
Sent: Tue 10/12/2013 6:27 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton New Observers to Visual Astronomy - 2014
Hi Roger,
I looked on your website and found the course description and would like to
sign up for this course. Can you tell me what I need to do next?
Thanks Troy
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of
Roger Hill
Sent: December-04-13 6:21 AM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton New Observers to Visual Astronomy - 2014
The New Observers to Visual Astronomy (NOVA) course will be running again
early next year (as noted in the latest Orbit).
The tentative dates are:
Monday, February 3rd,
Tuesday, February 18th (to avoid Family Day), Monday, March 3rd, Monday,
March 17th, Monday, April 7th, Monday, April 21st, Monday, May 5th, and
Monday, May 26th.
The format of each night will be:
1) Introduction, and recap of previous session.
2) Classroom instruction and occasional outside demonstrations
3) Observing.
The price will likely work out to be roughly the same as last year ($5 a
night, and another $20 if you wanted to keep the Beginners Observers Guide).
This has not been decided by the Board, though, and is consequently subject
to change.
Last year, we were initially quite crowded, so seating will be limited to 12
people.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
Roger Hill
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3629/6873 - Release Date: 11/27/13
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
More information about the astronomers
mailing list