RASC Hamilton Comet Pan-STARRS

Ron Shields rjshields at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 17 21:31:33 EDT 2013


Hi All,

I did manage to see Comet Pan-STARRS tonight. It was about 15 degrees above the horizon just slight north of due west around 8:15 p.m.. That's about a hand-width above the horizon. Not as impressive as Hale-Bopp back in March 1996, but impressive nonetheless. I live in the neighbourhood of Stone Church Road West and Garth St. on the Mountain in Hamilton and managed to see it, tail (pointing 100 degrees) and all, through my old reliable Tasco 306 7X50 binoculars out of the glare of the streetlights in my backyard.

To answer Will's star occultation question, a star, magnitude 3.5, according to the 2013 Observer's Handbook, was grazed by the Moon's southern limb at 23:01.2 Universal Time (7:01.2 p.m. local time). Another star, a double star, magnitude 6.3, is expected to be grazed by the Moon's northern limb at 3:57.8 Universal Time (11:57.8 p.m. local time) tonight.

With regard to the posting of ISS sightings, for anyone wants to get up early in the morning, it can be currently viewed passing over our area in the wee small hours of the morning just before dawn. Let me know if anyone would like me to post the morning times when the ISS passes over at that time of day. When it starts passing over our area in the evening hours, I will start posting the weekly times when the ISS is visible at that time of day.

Regards,
Ron 


From: will gray 
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:28 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca 
Subject: RASC Hamilton Comet Paanstars


Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone saw the comet tonight.  I just came in.  In my binoculars I saw what looked to be a thin knife like cloud in the afterglow of sunset.  It was pointing up a little.  I.e. the head would be pointing at about 275 degrees and tail at 100 degrees (0 degrees being vertical, going clockwise).....  Just wanted to verify.....if this was a comet, its the most impressive I have seen.  Also...does anyone know if the moon is going to occultt that star at its southern limb ...it is very close....and no I'm not referring to Aldebaran....you need binocs to see it.
 
Let me know,
 
Will
 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: gary at bendun.net
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:24:14 -0400
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Power Supply

 
I have one of these and they are handy. The down-side is that the battery is not very big (20 Amp/Hour) and if you drain it too far it will be dead and can’t be revived. Dew heaters are the biggest drain so it would be wise to have 2 of these and use one for just the dew heaters.

Not as handy, but for the same price you can buy a big honkin deep cycle battery. They are designed to be drained and live on to fight another day (night). Something like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/MarineBatteries/PRDOVR~0103199P/Group+31+Deep+Cycle+Battery.jsp?locale=en
If this link doesn’t work, go to www.canadiantire.ca and search for “10-3199-6”

115 Amp/Hours which is enough to run everything (including a laptop) for 1, perhaps 2 nights. But you will need to get a “Smart Charger” with a Deep Cycle setting (approx. $ 99).

The battery and charger go on sale every few months. I bought my battery for $ 90 and the charger for $ 60.

If you have access to AC power, here is the best bargain of all ($ 46.00 including shipping): 
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-5V-26-6A-360W-DC-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-/140574040105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20badda029&_uhb=1#ht_3254wt_1037

If this link does not work, just go to ebay.ca and search for “13.5V 26.6A 360W DC Regulated Switching Power Supply”

It outputs 26.6 Amps which is enough to run everything including the kitchen sink. I have ordered several of these and it takes 7-10 for shipping.



Gary Bennett



http://bendun.net/

http://photos.bendun.net/



From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: March-16-13 12:54 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton Power Supply



FYI,
Canadian Tire has the Eliminator Power Box with inverter, 400W, on sale for $130 which is half price. Plus the flier had a scratch coupon and I received an additional $5 off my purchase.  It takes about 30 hrs for the initial charge and once a month there after.  This is my second unit, I will have one for the telescope and one for the dew heater controls.
I’ve had 2 Celestron power packs, 17A, and I have been disappointed with them. They don’t hold their charge very well and I charge mine every month and the next morning after a nights use.
Rick 


_______________________________________________ astronomers mailing list astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20130317/a34581b2/attachment-0002.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.gif
Type: image/gif
Size: 145 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20130317/a34581b2/attachment-0002.gif>


More information about the astronomers mailing list