RASC Hamilton Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) - a viewing window tomorrow?
David Galbraith
dr_d_a_galbraith at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 20:15:19 EST 2013
Hi everyone,
The Hamilton Clear Sky Chart suggests that tomorrow there may be a chance to see Comet ISON just after 6 AM. The comet rises at just about 6 AM at about ESE (very close to Mercury) from our position. Attached is a screen capture from Stellarium timed to 6:15 AM tomorrow, from Hamilton as location.
The window will be brief. My experience on 20 November was that by 6:30 (about 45 minutes before sunrise) the chances of seeing something at 4th magnitude close to the eastern horizon were slim to none. I was able to get some dSLR photos on a tripod as late as 6:20 on which you can find the star-line spot of the comet, but not much later.
The Burlington Waterfront worked pretty well on Wednesday, so I'm going to head there again early tomorrow morning, hoping to start setting up by about 5 AM. If anyone wants to drop by, I'll be just west of Spenser's near the foot of Mapleview, at the waterfront park parking lot (same as Wednesday so I have some confidence about conditions). This time I'm planning on setting up with a Synscan-enabled mount, too. I tried using a manual mount on Wednesday and was frustrated.
cheers,
- David Galbraith
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ISON 20131123.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 155789 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20131122/af57ffdf/attachment-0002.jpg>
More information about the astronomers
mailing list