RASC Hamilton Pentax Astro Tracer

jfpatch jfpatch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 21:12:40 EST 2013


I recently purchased a polarie. seems to be good although I haven't had the chance to use it much.

Sent by John from his iPad 2!

On Nov 29, 2013, at 20:39, "Gary Bennett" <gary at bendun.net> wrote:

I have never heard of this gadget before but I suspect you would achieve a
better result with one of these gadgets:
http://www.kwtelescope.com/home/vixen-polarie-star-tracker.html

I suspect that the Pentax system only shifts the sensor between exposures
(not during). That is just a guess on my part. But the Vixen device rotates
full-time. The identical unit is now sold under several brand names.

Gary Bennett

http://bendun.net/
http://photos.bendun.net/


-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of
David Galbraith
Sent: November-29-13 8:23 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton Pentax Astro Tracer

Hi,

Has anyone experimented with the Pentax Astro Tracer system for tripod-based
night sky photos? It looks like it's available for several of their cameras,
including the new flagship dSLR the K3. Requires a separate GPS unit.

From http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/7/8/pentaxastroreport:

"Japanese website DCWatch has published a test of the star tracking feature
of Pentax's O-GPS module. The Astro Tracer mode uses the GPS coordinates to
calculate the camera's movement relative to the stars, then utilizes the
camera's image stabilization system to shift the sensor to track that
movement. The report, which is a little tricky to follow in its
Google-translated form, includes several example images, showing the
system's effectiveness. (From DCWatch)"

As noted, the original review from Japan comes through the translation
process badly, but here it is:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rur
l=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/doc
s/review/special/20110708_458911.html&usg=ALkJrhjnsWtb5a4SAFAl_k0iBlD1mMfMXg

cheers,

- David                         
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca


_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca



More information about the astronomers mailing list