RASC Hamilton Telescope night - Monday, March 24th
Roger Hill
Roger.Hill at hiteach.net
Mon Mar 24 17:06:32 EDT 2014
Tonight's the night!
Bring out your 'scope to the Observatory.
If you don't have a scope, come on out and we can give you some tips on
what to choose, or you can see what's too big, what's too small, and
what's just right!
Roger
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf
Of Roger Hill
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:24 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RE: RASC Hamilton Telescope night - Monday, March 24th
So...the clear sky chart is indicating that tomorrow evening is not
particularly promising.
We're going to to do this anyway!
One of the things we had thought to do was that when there were Nights
at the Observatory that were clouded out, that there be a "Plan B".
In this case, we'll set up the Celestron inside and pretend there are
actual stars to synch on.
This will allow you to see how the process works. I'll even toss in a
"sweetener" to persuade people to come out:
I still have some RASC IYA (International Year of Astronomy)
planispheres, so anyone who shows up and doesn't already have one can
get one, and I'll run through a quick demo of how to use one.
Roger
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers on behalf of Roger Hill
Sent: Fri 21/03/2014 9:16 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Telescope night - Monday, March 24th
Steve...that's a great offer!
The Sun will set about 7:30-ish, so how about we get together then?
Anyone bringing a scope can set it up while there's still some light.
I'd suggest setting it up on a tarp, so if you have to kneel down, you
won't get wet!
Roger
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf
Of Steve Kinsella
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 6:05 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Telescope night - Monday, March 24th
Roger
As an employee of a local Celestron dealer, I am well versed in the
Celestron controllers, as well as a few others. I would be happy to
help someone out with any concerns. I can bring a number of binoculars,
eyepieces, filters etc. but won't be able to bring a scope for this
event.
What time did you have in mind?
Steve Kinsella
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf
Of Roger Hill
Sent: March 21, 2014 17:21
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton Telescope night - Monday, March 24th
Is anyone else interested in coming out to the Observatory for some
viewing?
Do you have questions like:
"I have an equatorial GOTO mount and I'd like to know how to Polar align
it"
"I've seen the Moon and Jupiter, what else is there to see?"
"Do expensive eyepieces really make that much difference?"
"What's averted vision?"
Or perhaps you have different ones? Let us know here, and we'll try to
find the answers for you.
I know it's short notice, and it's not on the calendar, but perhaps
you'd like to come and spend some time under the stars anyway?
Everyone's welcome!
Who's interested?
Roger Hill
Orbit Editor
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf
Of Roger Hill
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:48 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RASC Hamilton Help needed for a telescope clinic...Monday,March
24th?
We have a new member who'd like some assistance with a Celestron CPC
type of telescope. Unfortunately, I have had no experience with using a
Celestron handpad for controlling a telescope, just with my Meade. I
suspect many of the functions are the same, so I don't think it will
take too long for me to figure it out. However, if there is someone who
has some familiarity with the Celestron, we could use your expertise!
One of the good things about joining a group such as ours is that there
is knowledge out there. The Internet is an astonishing thing, but
sometimes you just need someone to give you a guiding hand.
At the moment, it looks like it just might be clear on Monday evening
(24th March). The snow is disappearing quickly, and although it will
probably be partially flooded, or at least "squishy", the parking lot at
the Observatory should be a good place to get together.
So...I'm thinking that getting together for an informal "how to use your
telescope" session might not be a bad thing.
Do you agree? If so...reply here and let everyone know. Tell us your
telescope type and what type of help you'd like or problem you'd like
solved. If you can help, let us know here, too! I've seen how these
sorts of things can snowball rapidly, and I don't really want to be the
only experienced amateur there when several dozen people arrive needing
help!
Who's interested?
Roger
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
More information about the astronomers
mailing list