RASC Hamilton sample fotos from a rookie ...

Jeff Booth jbooth at cogeco.ca
Thu Nov 19 19:53:33 EST 2015


Hi again, Andy,

OK, thanks for the request.

I have attached some images to this email.

Now, remember .... I'm just a newbie at this stuff (using cameras with
telescopes and computers, etc.)  ... standing at the beginning of his astro
learning kinda thing ....  

The Saturn image came from a fourth attempt.  First attempt was not much
more than a smear, second better, third better yet, etc.  

The nebula image was much easier ... basically immediately, but had learned
a lot from the let's-try-to-take-a-picture-of-Saturn experience. 

Again, here are the techy details, from an earlier note, on the images...

---------------- snip -------------------------------  


....    Recently, I got my first amateur images of the nebula in Orion and
also of Saturn.  

The Saturn pics happened about six weeks ago, when the planet was painfully
low to the horizon ... basically just above my neighbour's roof.   Not the
best angle for these kinds of photos, I am sure.

For that one, I used a Neximage 5 camera, through a Celestron 925.  Registax
software was also part of that equation.   On Saturn pic #4, I am pretty
sure I can see the shadow of the rings on the planet and then, behind the
planet, the shadow of the planet on the rings.  (I note that the shadow of
the rings DOES NOT show up on all computer screens, but does show up
strongly on my small-screen, liquid crystal smart phone).  

The nebula image was captured through the same scope, but using a Canon EOS
T5i digital camera.   I got two "acceptable to me" images of the nebula
within seconds of each other, about three or four weeks ago, about 5 a.m.
ISO was set to 12800 and the exposures were 4-seconds and 6 seconds.    Not
bad for a rookie, I guess, but the fantastic surprise was that when I looked
at the two nebula images, one of them had what looks like a satellite track
streaking across one section of it.   All in all, a very cool coincidence...

--------------- snip ---------------------------------------

Anyhow ... there they are.  

Made lots of mistakes struggling with everything to get these images (which,
I know, are poor compared to many others) buuuuuut, they are watershed
images for me, as I have never really ever taken images like these, using
the required technology.  (My Comet Hale-Bopp images from the 1990s were
more easily taken, using just a camera, long lens and a good tripod). 

Bottom line here seems to be that every time I try this stuff, the results
get a bit better.  If not, what seems to happen is that I learn what more I
need to learn to get to the next level.  This is what it is all about for
me. 

All very satisfying. 



Cheers
Jeff









 


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20151119/d80845f1/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Saturn - Attempt #4.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 8218 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20151119/d80845f1/attachment-0002.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Orion nebula - 3 - poss satellite track - smaller file.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 103409 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20151119/d80845f1/attachment-0003.jpg>


More information about the astronomers mailing list