RASC Hamilton - Members Only The Lunar X

Roger Hill Roger.Hill at hiteach.net
Thu Feb 26 11:08:47 EST 2015


My observatory roof was frozen shut, so I couldn't use a telescope.

I tried to get a picture using an old 500mm lens on my Canon DSLR, but had extreme difficulty getting it focussed (it's why I don't use it much).  It was also on a tripod that isn't really up to the task of holding everything rock steady at 500mm focal length.

The pictures I got were not sharp, so I haven't examined them further...maybe tonight.


-----Original Message-----
From: members on behalf of Al Jones
Sent: Thu 26/02/2015 10:17 AM
To: members at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton - Members Only The Lunar X
 
I looked at the moon with my Celestron binoculars but I didn't see the 'X.'

Mind you, I was trembling more than Tom Hanks in *Saving Private Ryan *so
that didn't help.

Anyone see the X?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 6:05 AM, Roger Hill <Roger.Hill at hiteach.net> wrote:

> More likely Roman gold...there's a Lunar V in the northern hemisphere!
>
> Thanks for the chuckle, Al.
>
> Roger
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: members on behalf of Al Jones
> Sent: Wed 25/02/2015 5:15 AM
> To: members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton - Members Only The Lunar X
>
> OMG the conspiracy theorists would love that 'X.' They'll say the
> Illuminati put it there to mark the spot where the Inca gold is hidden.
>
> On Tuesday, February 24, 2015, Roger Hill <Roger.Hill at hiteach.net> wrote:
>
> > Wednesday evening, around about 10pm, an X will be visible on the Moon.
> > It's not marking the spot of anything in particular. It's created by
> > craters that are sufficiently close together and sunlight hitting them at
> > just the right angle. While it's not quite visible with the naked eye,
> even
> > a small telescope or well-supported pair of binoculars should provide
> > enough magnification to see it.
> >
> > To find it, aim at the terminator, the dark vs. light line formed by the
> > sun shining on the surface of the moon. The "X" should be about a third
> of
> > the way from the rough southern pole area of the Moon to the smoother
> > north.
> >
> > The X should be visible for about 3 hours (weather permitting).
> >
> > As always, pictures appreciated!  Considering the quality of what we've
> > seen in the last week, I'm looking forward to some very nice images!
> >
> > Roger
> >
> > * "Down" for those in the southern hemisphere.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> members mailing list
> members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/members_hamiltonrasc.ca
>
>

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 4417 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/members_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20150226/cfee52d2/attachment-0002.bin>


More information about the members mailing list