RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ??

David MacMillan starchemist at cogeco.ca
Sun Jul 15 22:44:00 EDT 2012


At this point, I'm not sure what the best tactics would be.
  a.. have one person (like me) try and establish a “beach-head” (for an informal group of amateur astronomers) ?? - I tried this once with Richmond Hill, and it went nowhere 
  b.. have our directors make a presentation to City of Burlington, perhaps sweetening the deal with “all comers are welcome” (i.e. “outreach”) – sounds like this will go nowhere too (c.f. Spencer Smith Park)
I’m not inclined to go off like a loose-cannon and “dirty our ticket”, and so propose our directors discussing first before anyone (myself included) approaches City of Burlington.  If this is a good viewing site, we should line our ducks up first in order to maximize our chances of getting to use a site that would be convenient to many in our club.

-David


-----Original Message----- 
From: Gary Bennett 
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:14 PM 
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca 
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ?? 

Are you offering to buy the permits? 

-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of Jeff Lillycrop
Sent: July-15-12 5:27 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Cc: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Viewing at Lowville Park ??

Well if the crowd gets unruly, you just pull out the permit and everything calms down. Its a little known fact, that almost all riots could be prevented if permits were issued.

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-07-15, at 17:21, Ed Mizzi <emizzi at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> David, 
> 
> Looks like a potential site and it's great that you're watching out for us. I do not know all of the details, but the main reason we do not do Sidewalk Astronomy at Spencer Smith Park is that, suddenly, the City of Burlington decided that we had to have a permit. They are expensive and would be required each time we used the park. Our club is a not-for-profit org. and we cannot afford costs like that. I'm guessing that Lowville might be the same. Anyone from the Board reading this may correct me on my take on this issue, in case I have the facts incorrect.
> 
> I find it rather amusing that one of the main reasons for a permit is because of drawing a crowd that may get unruly...I can just see the headlines...Amateur Astronomers Involved in riot over who got to look through the telescope First"??!!!
> 
> Ed
> 
> 
> On 2012-07-15, at 1:36 PM, David MacMillan wrote:
> 
>> Has anyone in the club inquired with City of Burlington about getting a special permit to use the park at Lowville for viewing / AP ?
>> 
>> My wife and I had not been there for 12 – 13 years, and we checked it out this morning.  There are a two open fields that are completely surrounded by trees that might make excellent sites.  Each field has a covered in area should it start to rain.  See attachment for aerial view.
>> 
>> I see a couple of hurdles.  The first and obvious one is that no-one is allowed in the park after 11pm.  The second one may be that lights are left on atop the service buildings on the edge of the fields.
>> 
>> Unless someone already knows that this idea is a big non-starter, I’ll call C of B to see if a permit may be obtained (to be in the park after 11pm).
>> 
>> -David MacMillan
>> Milton
>> <Lowville Park Aerial View.jpg>_______________________________________________
>> astronomers mailing list
>> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
>> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> astronomers mailing list
> astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca

_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca


_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20120715/359eada3/attachment-0002.htm>


More information about the astronomers mailing list