RASC Hamilton PanSTARRS

mike ducak mducak at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 07:53:56 EDT 2013


Hey Roger,  It took me a while and I was actually thinking of giving up but then I stumbled upon it with my binocs.  It was higher in the sky than I had expected.  I did see it naked-eye once I knew where it was, but only just.  It appeared more like a star than a comet.  I showed it to my wife and she probably wondered what all the fuss was about, but I thought it was pretty cool.  Wish I had my 100mm refractor set up to view it instead of my crappy binocs.  It was much more comet-like than Hartley's comet from a few years back, and it was the first comet with a tail I've ever seen.  
 Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:17:26 -0400
From: Roger.Hill at hiteach.net
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: RE: RASC Hamilton PanSTARRS

Hi, Mike...how did you find it?  Did it take a while?  Did you see it with the unaided eye?
 
I used my 15x70's and then took a picture.  With all the lights around the parking lot at work, I had no hope of seeing it without aid, although I did try.
 
It was also a very cold night, with a lazy wind (that's a breeze that doesn't bother going around you...it just goes straight through!
 
Anyway, the picture I took is now on the web site at
http://www.hamiltonrasc.ca/wp-content/gallery/roger-hill/panstarrs_0.jpg .  It was taken with my modified Canon T1i, 4 second exposure with in-camera dark frame subtraction turned on.  ISO 400, and the lens was a Tokina zoom, 200mm f/6.3.
 
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from some of the better astrophotographers in the Centre.
 
Roger
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca on behalf of mike ducak
Sent: Thu 14/03/2013 9:04 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton PanSTARRS
 
 
I had a pretty good view of it from Guelph through 8x42 binoculars.
 Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:49:41 -0400
From: Roger.Hill at hiteach.net
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: PanSTARRS
 
I would really have liked to go to the observatory this evening, but I had to work.
 
So, I took a few pictures from near the CN Intermodal Terminal in Brampton.
 
I hope the view from Milborough Town Line was good, it was a perfect evening for viewing it.
 
Roger
 
 
_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca
 

_______________________________________________
astronomers mailing list
astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20130315/df86fe42/attachment-0002.htm>


More information about the astronomers mailing list