RASC Hamilton Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) - no luck from Burlington this morning

Colin Haig astronomer at cogeco.ca
Sat Nov 23 09:15:01 EST 2013


Yeah David, I had a look, and am not 100% convinced I saw it. By the 
time I had the DSLR set up, low cloud and pre-dawn light at about 
6:25 made me give up trying to get a photo.  I have one image where 
this is a couple of pixels that look to be in the right place, but I 
think they are actually just noise. I should have escaped out of town to try.

Lovejoy was easy and quite nice this morning, right near Canes Venatici.
I got a bad photo of it. ;-)

I left it too late to look for Nevski, but I think the moon made it 
too tough. I had a "suspect", but can't confirm.

Cheers
Colin

At 07:53 AM 23/11/2013, David Galbraith wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We had no luck spotting ISON this morning from Burlington.
>
>I arrived about 5:10 AM and set up my 5" on a manual mount. I had 
>considered bringing out a bigger mount but didn't in the end. It 
>might have helped. I was joined by two other gentlemen. We had nice 
>views of the moon, Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter through the telescope 
>- but no sign of the comet. Mercury, Saturn, and Zubenelgenubi 
>formed a nice triangle, and once Saturn and the star had cleared a 
>low cloud bank there was a chance we'd see ISON, but despite all 
>three of us scanning with binoculars and with the location from 
>Stellarium, we couldn't find it. There was occasional broken high 
>cloud that cleared up as time went by.
>
>There's a chance I'll be able to recover the comet on some dSLR & 
>tripod photos I took once I can process them, but we didn't have any 
>luck "live."
>
>Did anyone else have a look this morning?
>
>cheers
>
>- David Galbraith
>_______________________________________________
>astronomers mailing list
>astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
>http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca





More information about the astronomers mailing list