RASC Hamilton Laptop Won't Talk to Mount - UPDATE

Rick Cudmore rcudmore1 at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 2 12:53:58 EST 2014


Thanks everyone for their input.

 

Gary,  I restarted everything this morning and enabled wifi, opened TheSkyX
and started up the mount. The connection worked the first time. I was able
to slew to many object without issue. I was advised years ago to turn off
wifi so the laptop couldn't receive updates with observing/imaging. Good
piece of advice.

 

I then parked the mount and disconnected the link and tried to reconnect.
This produce a few errors. I then tried connecting using ECU6, that didn't
work either.  So I shut it all down and restarted only this time before I
connected I moved the mount from its parked position to Vega. I then
connected and everything worked. I tried this a couple more times and that
seems to be the answer. 

 

For anyone who uses ECU6, in the full down menu which telescope do you
select as Skywatcher is not listed. 

 

The connection through EQMOD will be the next step.

 

Rick

 

 

From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of
Gary Bennett
Sent: November 2, 2014 8:33 AM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca
Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton Laptop Won't Talk to Mount

 

Hi Rick,

 

Enjoy the ride! Here are some of my standard "TIPS":

-          Windows versions past win98 will always need internet access
whenever you plug in any USB device for the 1st time. Even if the device
came with a installation CD and drivers, Windows will not be happy until it
can connect to the internet and check for its own drivers. Before heading
out, always plug in your new gadget while you still have internet. You only
need to do that the 1st time.

-          Serial Ports: What COM Port is Windows using? Telescope mounts of
all brands use Serial connections and mount control software (TheSky 6/X,
et al) needs to know which COM Port to use. You can find that information
from . Control Panel/Device Manager.. And look for "Ports COM-LPT" . TIPS: 

o   The COM Port that Windows assigns might be different the next time you
plug in those serial devices. 

o   If you have more than 1 device (for example, a GPS unit  )that needs a
COM Port,  PLUG THEM IN 1 AT A TIME. Otherwise you won't know which is
which.

-          The most popular way, BY FAR, to do computer control using EQ6
Pro mount is:

o   Install ASCOM

o   Install EQMOD

o   Ditch the hand controller and buy:

*  A EQDIR cable (available at KW Telescope). I believe your mount uses the
original 9-pin DB9 version. New models use a RJ45 (Ethernet) cable. You can
get either version at KW Telescope. You can also make your own cable
combined with a standard USB Serial Adapter. The purchased version has that
USB adapter built in (FDIC).

*  Game Pad (to slew the telescope during alignment) - Wireless ones can be
"fickle" and I preferred the USB corded version (works every time)

o   If you have the GPS unit (yes, much easier) it probably came with
another cable attachment with a USB plug and this will connect to your
computer (another COM Port situation) and this is how EQMOD will get time
and position intel.

o   For your planetarium software (TheSky6/X or whatever) you will select
EQMOD as your "mount" and in the settings you need to tell it what COM Port
to use.

o   Plenty of EQMOD information available on-line

-          With all of those USB devices, 

o   use a Powered HUB - you can buy a 12V version from Kendrick. The powered
Hub goes on the mount, NOT at your computer.

o   "Active USB" extension cables are a MUST.

-          If you are "in-the-field" running off battery, ditch the "power
tank" and get a big-ass car/marine battery (and a "smart charger"). 

-          If you have AC power nearby, get a big DC power supply like this
one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MW-High-Quality-13-5V-26-6A-360W-DC-Regulated-Switchi
ng-Power-Supply-/140574040105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
<http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MW-High-Quality-13-5V-26-6A-360W-DC-Regulated-Switch
ing-Power-Supply-/140574040105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20badda029>
&hash=item20badda029 

-          When running from a battery, avoid AC-DC Inverters. They are
horribly inefficient and require extra cords that will snag your vital bits.
All of the devices you are using need DC power so there is no point to
converting DC to AC and then back to DC again. Find DC Power supplies:

o   EBay/Amazon will get you a laptop adapter that runs from 12V

o   Same with DSLR camera adapters

o   USB Hub - Kendrick makes one that runs from 12V

 

Enjoy the ride!

 

Gary Bennett

 

 <http://bendun.net/> http://bendun.net/

 <http://photos.bendun.net/> http://photos.bendun.net/

 

From: astronomers [mailto:astronomers-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca] On Behalf Of
Rick Cudmore
Sent: November 1, 2014 2:50 PM
To: astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca <mailto:astronomers at hamiltonrasc.ca> 
Subject: RASC Hamilton Laptop Won't Talk to Mount

 

Hi Everyone,

 

I have spent the last three hours trying to get two different programs to
connect to my mount and need some help.

 

I have a Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro mount, Synscan is version 3.35.  Computer uses
Windows 7 and I have ECU version 6.0L and TheSkyX version 10.2.0. I'm using
a USB connection from the laptop to a RS232 to the hand controller. (If this
worked I was going to buy a EQDIR USB2EQ6 cable and bypass the hand
controller.)

 

I tried connecting with ECU first as I thought it would be the easiest. In
the dropdown menu Skywatcher is not listed and on the forums it was
suggested to use Celestron. That is not easy as it doesn't really state
Celestron in the menu. I selected various options and I got connection
errors.

 

I tried TheSkyX next and the dropdown box doesn't have Skywatcher again and
it was suggested to use Celestron 8i. That didn't work so I tried Orion and
the dropdown states any mount using the Synscan controller. That didn't work
either.

 

I tried connecting with EQMOD and Ascom and that received conflicting
errors. 

 

Could it be the USB to RS232 cable? It is almost 8 years old.

 

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would like to hear them.

 

Regards,

 

Rick

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20141102/a937fa02/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the astronomers mailing list