RASC Hamilton FW: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC

GAry Colwell supergiant2003 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:18:17 EDT 2015


Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 13:10:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC
From: rlward at mcmaster.ca
To: supergiant2003 at hotmail.com

Hi Gary,
Here are the links for the different visualization software I mentioned in my talk on Thursday:
WorldWide Telescopehttp://www.worldwidetelescope.org

Partiview (with Digital Universe)http://www.amnh.org/our-research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe/download
andhttp://virdir.ncsa.illinois.edu/partiview/

Here are the links for the various outreach initiatives I'm involved in as well:Origins Institute 3D Theatre: http://origins.mcmaster.ca/outreach/3d-theatre (Stay tuned for details on our new show - Mars: A World on the Edge)
William J. McCallion Planetarium: http://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/planetarium/
McMaster's Sidewalk Astronomy: http://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/sidewalkastronomy/
Thank you so much for the invitation to speak at your meeting.  Aaron and I both want to thank you for dinner as well.  I hope your members enjoy these resources.

If you want to contact Aaron about giving a talk at one of your future meetings, you can contact him at ajmax at mcmaster.ca.
Thanks again and take care,
Rachel


On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Rachel L. Ward <rlward at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
Hi Gary,



I just arrived at Turtle Jacks.  My cell number is 416-841-7092.  Let

me know when you arrive.



Thanks!



Rachel



On 3/4/15, GAry Colwell <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 255 Dundas St E, Waterdown, ON L0R 2H6

>

> (905) 690-1787

>

> See you there at 630 pm

> Gary

>

> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 22:39:09 -0500

> Subject: Re: FW: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC

> From: rlward at mcmaster.ca

> To: supergiant2003 at hotmail.com

>

> Hi Gary,

> Looking forward to Thursday.  Could you please send me the address for the

> restaurant?

> Thanks,Rachel

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Gary Colwell <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com>

> wrote:

> Sure that would be great!Address to follow,…. From: Rachel L. Ward

> [mailto:rlward at mcmaster.ca]

> Sent: February-22-15 11:07 AM

> To: Gary Colwell

> Subject: Re: FW: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC

>  Hi Gary, Yes, I would be able to meet for dinner.  Could you send me the

> address of the pub?  Also, would it be alright if my husband joins us?

> Looking forward to it! Rachel On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Gary Colwell

> <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com> wrote:Hi Rachel..This is perfect thankyou!...We

> usually meet at a local pub before the meeting to have dinner with some of

> the members…would you be available for that?...we usually meet at 6:00 at

> Turtle Jacks.Looking forward to having you speak to us!Gary From: Rachel L.

> Ward [mailto:rlward at mcmaster.ca]

> Sent: February-22-15 10:17 AM

> To: Gary Colwell

> Subject: Re: FW: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC Hi Gary, Sorry

> for the delay getting this to you.  Here is my title, blurb, photo, and bio.

> A Star is Born: Uncovering the True Nature of Molecular Clouds Giant

> molecular clouds are the birthplace of stars; however, the true nature of

> these clouds remains a great mystery.  The first step towards achieving a

> greater understanding of star formation is exploring the structure and

> evolution of the clouds in which they form.  Learn how powerful

> supercomputers are used to visualize both simulated and observed

> star-forming clouds to help solve several major unanswered questions in star

> formation. Biography:I am in the final year of my PhD in astrophysics at

> McMaster University.  I received my Bachelor's degree from York University

> in 2009 and my Master's degree from McMaster University in 2011.  Over the

> past ten years, I have been involved in various astronomy and science

> outreach initiatives, coordinating events for Let's Talk Science, the

> McMaster 3D Theatre, McMaster's Sidewalk Astronomy, Science Rendezvous, and

> the York Observatory, and also as a presenter at the McCallion Planetarium

> and invited speaker at the David Dunlap Observatory and Ontario Science

> Centre. Let me know if you need anything else.  Sorry again! Rachel   On

> Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Gary Colwell <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com>

> wrote:Subject: RE: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC Hello

> Rachael,Just touching base with you regarding your upcoming talk on March 5,

> 2015 to our club. I would love it if you could shoot me off a brief Bio of

> yourself…perhaps with a picture and a description of your topic so I can

> include it in our monthly newsletter and email broadcast, and announce it at

> our meeting tomorrow!Some particularsWe meet at the The Royal Canadian

> Legion – Branch 551 79 Hamilton Street North Waterdown, ON Time; 8:00 pm…but

> we should meet at 7:30 to set things upWe all go out to the royal coachman

> afterward for the after the meeting meeting!Looking forward to having you

> Gary ColwellPresident - HamiltonRASCEmail president at hamiltonRASC.caPersonal

> supergiant2003 at hotmail.com  From: Gary Colwell

> [mailto:supergiant2003 at hotmail.com]

> Sent: January-25-15 9:18 PM

> To: 'Rachel L. Ward'

> Subject: RE: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC Hello Rachael…We

> would love to have you come speak to us about your research!...I will fill

> you in on the details shortlyThank you for your willingness to come speak

> with us!Sincerely  Gary ColwellPresident - HamiltonRASCEmail

> president at hamiltonRASC.caPersonal supergiant2003 at hotmail.com  From: Rachel

> L. Ward [mailto:rlward at mcmaster.ca]

> Sent: January-25-15 7:23 PM

> To: Gary Colwell

> Subject: Re: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC Hi Gary, I'm so sorry

> for not replying to your request sooner.  I wanted to let you know that I

> would love to come speak to the Hamilton RASC on Thursday March 5th.  I

> could give a presentation on my research (star formation) or I could present

> on another topic of interest.  Please let me know if you are still

> interested. Thank you for your invitation.  I look forward to hearing from

> you. Rachel   On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Gary Colwell

> <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com> wrote:Hi Rachael, Thank you for getting back to

> me…would you be interested in speaking to our group on Thursday March 5,

> 2015? We would be thrilled to have you speak to us ion any topic of your

> choice.Kind Regards,Gary Colwell From: Rachel L. Ward

> [mailto:rlward at mcmaster.ca]

> Sent: January-05-15 9:21 AM

> To: Gary Colwell

> Subject: Re: Guest Speaker at the Hamilton Centre RASC Dear Gary, Thank you

> so much for the invitation to speak at your meeting.  Unfortunately, I will

> be unavailable to speak this Thursday as I already have a prior commitment.

> However, I would be thrilled to come speak at one of your meetings on a

> later date. I'm so sorry that I won't be able to make it, but I look forward

> to hearing from you about scheduling for a later date. Rachel On Mon, Dec

> 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gary Colwell <supergiant2003 at hotmail.com> wrote:Dear

> Rachael, My name is Gary Colwell and I am the President of the Hamilton

> Centre RASC. I am also a friend of Paul Mortfield. Recently I thought I had

> booked Paul as our guest speaker on January 8, 2015, but through an error on

> my part, I had failed to confirm the date and Paul is booked at the DDO that

> evening. I asked him if he could recommend a speaker for us and he gave me

> your name along with a high recommendation. I know this is extremely short

> notice, but would you be available to speak to our club on Thursday January

> 8, 2015 at 8:00 pm in Waterdown ON. If not we would certainly enjoy hearing

> you at a later date.We have about 20-30 members come out to our meetings,

> and they are a very enthusiastic crowd. ..and interests range from beginners

> to seasoned veterans. If you would be available, I would love to hear back

> from you. We generally meet beforehand for dinner with our speaker to say

> thank you for speaking to us.Looking forward to hearing from you.Gary

> ColwellPresident

> Hamilton CentreRASC

>

>



 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/astronomers_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20150308/3df0e85d/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the astronomers mailing list