RASC Hamilton - Members Only RASC - Inappropriate use of e-mail list
Kenneth Owen
kdowen at lakeheadu.ca
Fri Mar 23 16:26:13 EDT 2012
I have been enjoying reading this thread in the members list for a few days
now. I find it reassuring that there are so many people interested in the
success of the club that they are willing to invest their time and energy
into such a debate.
Mr. Farfan made a critical remark regarding privacy and based on the
evidence I have been able to identify in my mail message headers and logs,
I have not reached the same conclusions that he has. From what I can see,
the recipients of the members at hamiltonrasc.ca remain anonymous until we
wish to reply. So with all possible respect to Mr Farfan, I wanted to
balance his contribution with an alternative observation. From my
perspective I don't see a privacy issue.
On 23 March 2012 14:30, Andy Blanchard <atacamandy at hotmail.ca> wrote:
> Hi Frank this system although we are on a new server has been this way for
> at least ten years. We will discuss your comments at the next board
> meeting, but this list is for discussing astronomy, announcements and
> generally anything that people wish to discuss as long as its not
> offensive. I believe, but I will check with Gary Bennett when he returns
> that there is a condensed version that can be set up.
>
> Andy Blanchard
> 905-465-2031H
> 905-847-7777B
>
> On 2012-03-23, at 12:56 PM, dalton.farfan at sympatico.ca wrote:
>
> To the Centre executive:
>
> There is no need for all members to receiving all these communications &
> in my opinion it is completely inappropriate to be using the email list in
> this manner. Not only are these myriad emails clogging our email system but
> there may have been a breach of our privacy rights in disseminating our
> email address in the manner done. We wish to receive email announcements
> from the Centre/executive but not in a way which results in these blanket
> emails from the entire responding membership. Please make the appropriate
> adjustments to your email list, in respect of our email address at least,
> so as to correct this situation.
>
> Best regards & happy skies to all,
> Frank Farfan
>
> > To: members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > From: glcolwell at cogeco.ca
> > Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:16:44 +0000
> > Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton - Members Only Last night...
> >
> > Me too!(Not frm Milton)
> > Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: scott barrie <barrie_62 at sympatico.ca>
> > Sender: members-bounces at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:18:43
> > To: <members at hamiltonrasc.ca>
> > Reply-to: members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > Subject: Re: RASC Hamilton - Members Only Last night...
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > members mailing list
> > members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/members_hamiltonrasc.ca
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > members mailing list
> > members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> > http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/members_hamiltonrasc.ca
>
> _______________________________________________
> members mailing list
> members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/members_hamiltonrasc.ca
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> members mailing list
> members at hamiltonrasc.ca
> http://hamiltonrasc.ca/mailman/listinfo/members_hamiltonrasc.ca
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://hamiltonrasc.ca/pipermail/members_hamiltonrasc.ca/attachments/20120323/d60b4fae/attachment-0002.htm>
More information about the members
mailing list